SACBC AIDS Office is a non-profit organization and public benefit organization. The
SACBC AIDS Office is an Office of the Southern African Catholic Bishop’s Conference
(SACBC) and was established in 2002. It was set up by the Bishops as the Catholic Church
response to HIV and AIDS in Southern Africa. The SACBC AIDS Office has provided treatment, care and support to those infected or affected by Aids, both adults and orphans and vulnerable children (OVC), especially to the poorest and most vulnerable in Southern Africa.
SACBC AIDS Office seeks to recruit a Public Health Advisor (PHA), to be based in Pretoria.
The PHA will collaborate with the team at the AIDS Office in Pretoria and support teams of Community Health Workers (CHWs) in eight underprivileged areas of South Africa and Eswatini. The position is a part-time position (50%).
The AIDS Office has been involved in community-based care and support for People Living with HIV (PLHIV) and motivating people to be tested for HIV. PLHIV are encouraged to start Antiretroviral Therapy (ART) and to adhere to the therapy. All the eight sites have high percentages of PLHIV who know their status but are not taking ART for various reasons. The work will be done in close relationship with the local government health care facilities and district health authorities.
PRIMARY FUNCTION: To give practical assistance to the teams of CHWs in tracing PLHIV who are not taking ART, motivate them to initiate ART and adhere to the therapy.
- Develop with the CHWs and clinic staff strategies for practical index testing approach
- Develop with the CHW and clinic staff strategies to encourage non-PLHIV, but at risk for HIV infection, to adopt preventive measures, including Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP) and Voluntary Medical Male Circumcision
- Develop with the CHW and clinic staff strategies to improve the adherence of PLHIV to ART and retention in care
- Support HIV care and reduce barriers by collaborating with medical health and social services providers.
- A good understanding of the HIV situation in Southern Africa and experience in working with government structures
- Experience in community care and support
Required qualification: MPH Degree (Master of Public Health)
- Applicant must have a valid practising licence
- Applicant must be registered with the applicable bodies
- Fluency in languages that are commonly spoken in the community.
- Valid driver’s licence
Our Catholic identity is at the heart of the SACBC AIDS Office’s mission and programs. SACBC AIDS Office carries out the commitment of the Bishops of Southern Africa to assist the poor and the vulnerable, both adults and children infected or affected by AIDS.
The employer reserves the right not to fill the position
To apply submit a recent CV ( with references ) in hard copy either by hand/post/courier to the following address: SACBC AIDS Office, Khanys House, 129 Main Street,Waterkloof, Pretoria, 0181 by 22 December 2021 . Please mark for the attention of the SACBC AIDS Office Director.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.