Province of Durban
Patron: St. Benedict
PO Box 488, Eshowe, 3815
Residence: 02 Binns Avenue
Tel: 035 474 1243
Fax: 035 474 4644,
Coat of Arms and Motto
To serve the Lord with one accord
- Rt Rev Bishop Thomas Spreiter, OSB, Titular Bishop of Thaenae. Consecrated 1 May 1906 as second Vicar Apostolic of Dar-es-Salaam; Prefect Apostolic of Zululand 27 August 1921; first Vicar Apostolic of Eshowe 11 December 1923; resigned 14 May 1943, died 27 January 1944 at Inkamana.
- V. Rev Theodos Schall OSB, Administrator Apostolic from 14 May 1943 to 3 August 1947.
- Rt Rev Bishop Aurelian Bilgeri OSB, appointed 12 June 1947. Consecrated Titular Bishop of Germanicopolos and second Vicar Apostolic of Eshowe 14 September 1947. First
Bishop of Eshowe 11 January 1951. Died 24 July 1973 at Mtunzini.
- Rt Rev Bishop Mansuet Dela Biyase, appointed Bishop on 28th February 1975. He was ordained Bishop on 28 June 1975. He died on 1 July 2005.
- Rt Rev Bishop Xolelo Thaddaeus Kumalo, appointed Bishop on 11 March 2008. Ordained Bishop 7 June 2008. Appointed Bishop of Witbank on 25 November 2020.
History of the Diocese
The Prefecture of Zululand was erected on the 27 August 1921 and entrusted to the Benedictine Congregation of St Ottilien. Before that time it had formed part of Natal Vicariate. On 11 December 1923 it was raised to the status of a Vicariate under the title of “Vicariate Apostolic of Eshowe”. With the establishment of the Hierarchy in South Africa it became the Diocese of Eshowe on the 11 January 1951. This Diocese now comprises Zululand proper, (with the exception of the districts of Ingwavuma, Ubombo and Hlabisa), and the four Natal districts of Vryheid, Paulpietersburg, Ngotshe and Babanango. It is bound on the East by the Indian Ocean, on the South by the Tugela River, on the West by the Tugela, Buffalo, Blood and Didusini Rivers, and in the North by the Pongola and Umfolozi Rivers.
Area: 26 364 sq. km.
Total Pop: 2 500 000
Cath Pop: 73 207